Where to Get Letters of Administration


Where to get letters of administration in New York.

You apply for letters of administration in the county probate or Surrogate’s court where the deceased person was living at the time of their death.

So let’s do a few quick examples.

If somebody was living in the Bronx when they passed away, then that one’s pretty simple, you go to the Bronx County Surrogate Court.

If somebody was living in the Bronx but got into an accident in Manhattan and passed away in a Manhattan hospital, in that case, since he was living in the Bronx, you still go to the Bronx County Surrogate’s Court.

If that same person was living in the Bronx, but moved into hospice or rehabilitation in New York, that’s a little fuzzier, so most courts in New York will allow you to choose which county court works best for you.

Hope you found this helpful. Take care now.

[Previously posted on YouTube]

Call to Request a Free Consultation

Involved with a probate estate? Writing your will?  Pick up a copy of my book:

How Probate Works Cover 3D

How Probate Works: A Guide for Executors, Heirs, and Families

Available at Amazon.com

Questions answered in the book:

A testimonial from a reader:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “As I begin down this path with my parent’s estate, I found this resource very helpful. While the task before me now seems even more daunting than before, it’s more of an informed weight as I have an idea of what’s coming and how much it will require of me. It’s no longer the mysterious unknown that feels overwhelming, but a process that I can work through one piece at a time.”

*Disclosure: Links to my book are “affiliate links,” and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.